Understanding Air Filters
We’ve spent a lot of time on this blog stressing how important it is for you to maintain your HVAC system’s air filters (read here, here, and here). Clogged, dirty, or damaged filters will not only drive up your energy bills; they can potentially cause damage to your system.
In this post, we are going to take a look at some of the most common air filters available so you can decide which is best for your home
- Washable: We do not recommend these filters because they are very susceptible to collecting fungus, bacteria, and other harmful microorganisms that could eventually circulate through your home.
- Fiberglass: These types of filters are what we call “baseline acceptable” because they effectively protect your AC unit from large damaging particles. They are the least expensive type of filter and require frequent changing.
- Polyester and Pleated: This filter is more effective at trapping dust and other small particles than fiberglass filters and can remove close to 45% percent of home air pollutants. They are also quite efficient and can trap particles without restricting the airflow in your air conditioning system. These are an excellent choice for making improvements in your indoor air quality.
- High-Efficiency: These HVAC filters (including HEPA types) are the most effective at removing pollutants from indoor air. They are made from either pleated filter paper or polyester fiber. This filter can remove up to 90% of airborne particles, including dust, pollen, and mold.
- Electrostatic and Halo: These filters/purifiers are considered the pinnacle of air filter technology. Electrostatic air filters charge air particles and then pull them into the filter’s collection cells, trapping even the smallest dust and debris and HALO systems use ultraviolet light and hydrogen peroxide ions to neutralize contaminants. Some of these filters, such as the Trane® Clean Effects Air Cleaner and the Reme HALO, can trap up to 99% of dust and pollen, resulting in a significant improvement in the indoor quality.
Share a Tip with Us
Comfort Air Conditioning & Heating is one of Manhattan and Nassau County’s leading HVAC contractors. We offer a full range of air conditioning and heating services, including: installations, maintenance, 24 hour emergency service and so much more. Call our experts today at 516-799-0700. We’re A+ Rated by the Better Business Bureau.