Ductless Mini Split Systems: Pros and Cons
Ductless, mini-split air conditioning systems have risen in popularity over the past ten years for numerous reasons. Primary among them is that they are ideal for installation in areas where ductwork cannot reach or isn’t feasible. And while these systems offer many advantages, they do have a few disadvantages that you may want to consider before installing one. Below you’ll find three pros and cons of these versatile systems:
Ductless mini-split pros:
- Size: Individual systems are small and perfect for controlling the temperature of individual rooms or areas.
- Ease of installation: In many applications, mini-split systems are easier to install than a traditional central air unit. The indoor and outdoor units connect through a small hole in your wall.
- You can zone units: Many models can have as many as four different indoor air handling units connected to one outdoor unit. Because of this, homeowners have a tremendous amount of flexibility.
Ductless mini-split cons:
- Cost: In some cases, mini-split systems can cost up to 30% more than traditional HVAC equipment, such as a window air conditioner.
- Aesthetics: Some homeowners do not like the appearance of mini-split components in their home as compared to far less intrusive floor or ceiling registers of traditional HVAC systems.
- They require more frequent maintenance: Ductless systems are less forgiving than traditional HVAC systems for filter maintenance and cleaning (Please note that we are not saying you can ignore the filters and routine maintenance in your traditional system!).
Is a ductless mini-split system the ideal choice for you? To find out, speak to a highly qualified HVAC contractor. They will provide you with a full assessment and make recommendations based on your needs.
Share a Tip with Us
Comfort Air Conditioning & Heating is one of Manhattan and Nassau County’s leading HVAC contractors. We offer a full range of air conditioning and heating services, including: installations, maintenance, 24 hour emergency service and so much more. Call our experts today at 516-799-0700. We’re A+ Rated by the Better Business Bureau.