Five Signs of a Refrigerant Leak
Refrigerant is the lifeblood of your air conditioning system. And if there’s a leak, it could quickly lead to significant problems. In this article, we’ll show you five signs of a refrigerant leak.
Refrigerant goes through two coils in your air conditioning system: the evaporator coil and the condenser coil. As it passes through the evaporator coil, it removes heat from the air. Then it’s sent to the condenser coil where the refrigerant is condensed, releasing heat outside your home, and sending cool back air inside.
A refrigerant leak will affect your system’s ability to cool your home, as well as cause premature compressor failure. All of this could cost you hundreds or possibly thousands in replacement parts and repairs.
Signs of a Refrigerant leak
Leaks aren’t easy to detect by the naked eye, but some signs can indicate a problem:
- Your air isn’t as cool as it usually is.
- Your system is short cycling, turning on and off repeatedly without completing an entire cooling cycle.
- Your energy bills are much higher than they were this time last year.
- You hear a hissing noise near your air conditioner.
- You see ice developing anywhere on your system, especially on outside plumbing or within your air handler.
If your system is experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s essential to call a trained HVAC professional to locate and repair the leak before catastrophic damage occurs.
Share a Tip with Us
Comfort Air Conditioning & Heating is one of Manhattan and Nassau County’s leading HVAC contractors. We offer a full range of air conditioning and heating services, including: installations, maintenance, 24 hour emergency service and so much more. Call our experts today at 516-799-0700. We’re A+ Rated by the Better Business Bureau.