Five Free Ways to Lower Your Heating Bill
Here’s a simple fact of life: winter puts more demand on your heating system. Because of this, the cost of maintaining a comfortable home will rise. If you’re looking to control energy costs this winter, we have some good news for you. Here are five free ways to lower your heating bills:
- Lower your thermostat: You can save up to 3 percent on your heating bill for every degree lowered on your thermostat. Try to keep your thermostat at 68 during the day and 62 at night.
- Seal your flue: If you have a fireplace, make sure your flue is fully closed when not in use. An open flue wastes as much energy as leaving a window open! Additionally, make sure your dryer’s outside vent is closed when not in use.
- Use a few fans: Warm air rises, and heated air ends up “floating” above you, trapped against the ceiling. To offset this, set your fans on a low setting and have them point upward (if you have ceiling fans, reverse them). By doing this, you’ll help force the warm air above you to travel downward.
- Keep things clean: Dust and debris trap heat and impedes airflow, so make sure your radiators, vents, and registers are clean. While you’re at it, if you have forced air heat, make sure your filters are clean.
- Open your shades: If you have windows with southern exposure, make sure you have your shades fully open during the daylight hours. You’ll be surprised how much heat you can add to a room by doing this. Conversely, make sure to keep curtains and shades closed a night to reduce warm air escaping through your windows.
Unfortunately, if you have a poorly running heating system these tips may yield the results you are looking for. If you suspect your system is in need of diagnosis and repair, call a trusted HVAC professional.
Share a Tip with Us
Comfort Air Conditioning & Heating is one of Manhattan and Nassau County’s leading HVAC contractors. We offer a full range of air conditioning and heating services, including: installations, maintenance, 24 hour emergency service and so much more. Call our experts today at 516-799-0700. We’re A+ Rated by the Better Business Bureau.