Cool Your Home More Efficiently
Summer in New York City and Long Island can present severe challenges for your air conditioning system. When you couple high heat with intense humidity, there’s no doubt your system will be taxed trying to keep you cool and comfortable. With that in mind, we’d like to share a few tips with you that may help relieve some of the strain on your air conditioner and help lower your electrical bills as well.
Tips to cool your home more efficiently
- Check for drafts and leaks: Drafts and leaks around windows and doors allow warm air into your home and force your air conditioning system to work harder. Seal any cracks around doors and windows with caulk, insulation, or plastic sheeting to prevent cool air loss.
- Block the sun: It’s a great idea to block out heat from direct sunlight by drawing curtains, closing blinds, and lowering shades. In spots where the sun is most powerful, consider applying solar film to windows to reduce heat absorption by blocking UV light.
- Get a good thermostat: If you’re still using an old thermostat, consider installing a programmable one, so you create a schedule to cool your home. By doing this, you won’t have to worry about constantly adjusting the thermostat, plus you’ll save money. If you enjoy high-tech gadgetry, try purchasing a wifi thermostat for complete control of your cooling system.
- Use ceiling fans: Ceiling fans aid in the circulation of cool air and help your air conditioning system more efficiently. Additionally, the breeze created by a ceiling fan may allow you to raise the temperature on your thermostat, saving you a few extra dollars a month.
- Check your filters: A clogged or dirty air filter will make your air conditioner work harder, and you could end up with a breakdown — that’s something you don’t want on a 95-degree day.
- Call an expert: It’s not too late to call a qualified HVAC contractor to come and do a tune-up and thorough inspection of your system. By doing this, you can spot any potential problems and get your system running as efficiently as possible.
Share a Tip with Us
Comfort Air Conditioning & Heating is one of Manhattan and Nassau County’s leading HVAC contractors. We offer a full range of air conditioning and heating services, including: installations, maintenance, 24 hour emergency service and so much more. Call our experts today at 516-799-0700. We’re A+ Rated by the Better Business Bureau.