Choosing a qualified HVAC contractor — 5 critical questions to ask.
Having a qualified HVAC contractor that you can rely on is critical to assuring the health and performance of your HVAC system, as well as the comfort of your family. Many homeowners rely on these two basic strategies when searching for a qualified HVAC contactor:
- Internet search (reviews, testimonials, etc.)
- Word of mouth references
While the above strategies are an excellent starting point, they do not give a true picture of the companies you are researching. Once you have done your basic research using these approaches, it is important to sit down with the contractors you are interested in, and ask these additional questions:
- May I have your street address? It is critical that the contractor you are interested in has a physical location. Many unscrupulous contractors will have only a PO box, or worse, no address at all.
- How long have you been in business? Longevity in the very competitive HVAC marketplace is a key indicator of both quality work and excellent customer service. Look for a company that has been in business for at least 15 years and has had the same name throughout their history.
- Are your technicians employees or subcontractors? An HVAC company that employs their team members as opposed to hiring subcontractors is typically more committed to performing high quality work.
- What is your BBB rating? You should accept nothing less than an “A” rating from the Better Business Bureau. This indicates the company places a high value on service and quality.
- Do you screen/background check your technicians before hiring them? You want to be confident that the company you are hiring sends only honest and dependable people into your home. A company that screens their employees before hiring shows that they place a premium on employee integrity.
Asking the questions above will most certainly help you make a more informed decision regarding your HVAC contractor.