Five Keys to Improving Your HVAC Efficiency
Your home’s heating and air conditioning system (HVAC) makes up a significant portion of your monthly energy costs. In order to make sure you aren’t paying more than you have to, your system should be running as efficiently as possible. Below are five keys to improving HVAC efficiency that can help reduce your monthly energy costs:
- Change your HVAC filters: Clean filters facilitate strong airflow as opposed to clogged or dirty filters which make your system work harder to achieve a desired temperature. This allows your system to run more efficiently. Filters should be checked on a monthly basis and replaced as necessary. If you are unsure where your filters are located, contact and trusted HVAC professional.
- Keep your vents clean: Floor and return registers should be inspected monthly for excess dust and debris buildup which can impede efficient airflow. Clean as necessary with warm water and a sponge or brush, and thoroughly dry before re-installing. Additionally, make sure your vents are free and clear of obstructions such as carpets, couches, tables, etc.
- Check your windows: Make sure there are no unwanted drafts in and around your windows. Caulk or insulate as necessary. If you have traditional single-pane windows, consider installing energy efficient windows, which can create significant monthly savings.
- Is your system in tune? Always make sure you have a maintenance contract (link to your contract page) from a trusted HVAC company. These types of contracts cover seasonal inspection and maintenance, which is necessary for an efficient running system.
- Consider a new system: If your current HVAC system is more than 15 -20 years old, you should consider replacing it with one of today’s incredibly efficient systems. The past 5 years has seen great advances in both furnace and air conditioning technology.
Share a Tip with Us
Comfort Air Conditioning & Heating is one of Manhattan and Nassau County’s leading HVAC contractors. We offer a full range of air conditioning and heating services, including: installations, maintenance, 24 hour emergency service and so much more. Call our experts today at 516-799-0700. We’re A+ Rated by the Better Business Bureau.